[squid-users] cpu usage

From: squid <squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 31 May 01 10:55:42 -0500

-- [ From: squid * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --

Used to have a pII 350Mhz with 256mb ram, 2 ethernets with RedHat 6.2 with
Squid-2.3.STABLE2-4 running transparent with ipchains, it was working OK,
and the cpu usage was stable between 65.0% to about 85.0% idle aprox.

Now I replaced (fresh installation) the same machine but with RedHat 7.1 and
Squid-2.4STABLE1.1, running transparent also with ipchains.

I still have several users using their browser configured with my proxy. If
I do not redirect all my traffic to this server, the cpu usage is more or
less like this:

CPU states: 0.3% user, 32.1% system, 0.0% nice, 67.4% idle

But if I redirect all my traffic to it, then the cpu shows this:

CPU states: 2.4% user, 97.5% system, 0.0% nice, 0.0% idle permanently and
it slows my service.

The services installed on both machines and the squid.conf are almost the
same.

Does this increase in the cpu usage is caused by the new kernel and or
because of the new version of Squid, or is my fault ?

Also, I was unable to make the iptables to work with the example on your FAQ
page, so I have it configured still with ipchains the same as I used to have
with RH 6.2 .

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks
Rolando