Re: [squid-users] Forcing all user to go through proxy server

From: Joel Jaeggli <joelja@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 10:42:30 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 31 May 2001, Dan Larsson wrote:

> On Thu, 31 May 2001, Joel Jaeggli wrote:
>
> | > Now I have two questions:
> | >
> | > 1. How do I force everyone (every PC) on the LAN to use the proxy server? I
> | > need to log all activities on the LAN.
> |
> | you can't really force local traffic (on the subnet) through the cache
> | box. the users can simply configure their clients around that (it's a
> | policy) issue not a technical one...
>
> Well, one solution is to deny the local subnet _direct_ access to the
> internet by means of a few firewall rules.

I think he was refering to traffice inside the subnet. yeah you can block
any kind of outgoing if you so desire...

> | > 2. How do I force all requests, eg ftp, telnet, http, etc. to get logged?
>
> To proxy non web/ftp services I'd suggest you take a look at the FWTK
> (FireWallToolKit), the homepage is http://www.fwtk.org/ if I'm not
> mistaken.
>

> Regards
> +------
> Dan Larsson | Tel: +46 8 550 120 21
> Tyfon Svenska AB | Fax: +46 8 550 120 02
> GPG and PGP keys | finger dl@hq1.tyfon.net

Joel Jaeggli				       joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
Academic User Services			     consult@gladstone.uoregon.edu
     PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E
It is clear that the arm of criticism cannot replace the criticism of
arms.  Karl Marx -- Introduction to the critique of Hegel's Philosophy of
the right, 1843.