Re: [squid-users] squid.conf

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 21:51:57 +0200

Adam Lang wrote:

> The default is 8 MB. Squid will be running on a server with only DNS. The
> server has 512 MB of RAM. Will it make a difference if I change the above
> value to 100 MB? Is there a point where how much RAM you give it won't make
> a difference?

A small difference, and only if you have a quite high load. For most
others it is more important to save the memory for disk cache indexes so
you can have a large cache.

> Also, the .conf says Squid will typically use 2 - 3 times the amount
> specified... that doesn't scale, does it? I mean, if I had 8 -10 MB, it may
> you 20 -30 MBs total for it to do stuff, but if I give 100 MB for cache_mem,
> it isn't going to beusing 200-300 MB to do things now, correct?

The wording in the FAQ (and squid.conf) is perhaps not the best.
cache_mem is NOT the major impact on Squid's memory usage, the size of
your on-disk cache is.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid Hacker