Re: [squid-users] Chaining of proxies

From: Thomas Adam <N6TAdam@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 20:59:31 +0100

Hi,

I see from your e-mail that you specified the following in your squid.conf file:

cache_peer wittenau.ivbb.bund.de parent 80 7 no-query
and
cache_peer wittenau.ivbb.bund.de parent 80 3130 no-query

I suggest that you try changing the "no-query" bit at the end to "no-digest".

HTH, if not, e-mail me with more problems,
Regards,

Thomas Adam

From: Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de>
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2001 14:51:33 +0200 (CEST)

>Hello,

I'm new to this list but have searched the archive for my following
problem. My setup is as follows:

I set up a squid as proxy cache for our department which is connected over
a slow line to the main firewall of our institute.

  [local-1]
            \
  [local-2] - [squid-cache] --(slow line)--> [firewall of institute]
            /
  [local-3]

Now the situation has changed and we have to use a proxy instead of the
"firewall of institute". I just get 403 errors with my current (mostly
standard) squid setup or even if I try to connect directly to the
internet from my workstation. I'm using squid 2.2.5 from Debian 2.2.

The list archive mentioned the cache_peer option which should be
my friend to solve this problem, but I suspect I did not use the
right options. I tried

cache_peer wittenau.ivbb.bund.de parent 80 7 no-query
and
cache_peer wittenau.ivbb.bund.de parent 80 3130 no-query

but I've got in both cases:

                                   Error 500

   Reason: Can't locate remote host.

    Utimaco Safeware AG

I really don't know anything about the proxy
which is used and I hope that no-query was the right option to tell
squid that it doesn't try to obtain something from the cache. I don't
understand the ICP concept but I'm afraid that the used proxy isn't
as clever as squid might be.

991391520.850 185 10.15.140.59 TCP_MISS/403 289 GET http://tower.physik.uni-halle.de/ - DIRECT/tower text/html
991395122.707 2423 10.15.140.59 TCP_MISS/500 499 GET http://tower.physik.uni-halle.de/ - FIRST_UP_PARENT/wittenau.ivbb.bund.de text/html

Any idea how I can chain the proxies right?

Kind regards

         Andreas.

Please note that the content of this message is confidential between the original sender and the intended recipient(s) of the message. If you are not an intended recipient and/or have received this message in error, kindly disregard the content of the message and return it to the original sender.

If you have any complaints about this message please reply to:
       office@purbeck.dorset.sch.uk

The Purbeck School E-Mail server running:
       users.purbeck.dorset.sch.uk