Re: [squid-users] cache_mem

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 10:09:30 +0200

Thomas Adam wrote:

> hche_mem" tag indicates how much memory squid should when caching its webpagsually, the default is set to 8MB, which with a 256MB memory module, is usufine, or atleast works great on my proxy servers at school.

cache_mem indicates how much memory Squid should use for it's "hot
object cache" in memory. This is in addition to all other uses of memory
in squid.

Usually the biggest use of memory in Squid is for the disk cache index,
keeping track of what objects it has on disk, but there are numerous
other sources of memory usage in Squid.

The above applies to bigger Squid's only. For smaller Squid's (cache < 1
GB) the index is still quite small, making other memory uses
significant. Most of the other memory uses is a bit hard to predict.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid Hacker