Re: [squid-users] "Connection timed out" problem

From: Aleksandar B. Samardzic <a.samardzic@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 18:28:29 -0100

On Tue, Jun 05, 2001 at 03:28:52PM +0100, Simon Allenby wrote:
> >I was manually setting http_proxy from command line (am using bash):
> > export http_proxy=http://proxy_host:8080/
> >before launching lynx.
>

> Yes, that _should_ work fine.
>
> >> Can you telnet to the proxy port manually and GET a URL from the net? If
> >> not, what error page do you get back? Or is the conenction refused?
> >
> >Connection is closed:
> >
> >[alex@proxy_host /home/alex]$ telnet proxy_host 8080
> >Trying 127.0.0.1...
> >Connected to proxy_host.
> >Escape character is '^]'.
> >get http://www.google.com
> >Connection closed by foreign host.
>

> Try constructing your GET properly.
>
> GET http://www.google.com/ HTTP/1.0
>
> followed by a couple of CR+LFs and see if you get any more joy. Have you
> tried pointing a Windows client at it using IE or Netscrape for a "genuine"
> client connection? If the above works, then it would look more like it's a
> lynx problem rather than a Squid problem. Does the server close the
> connection instantly, or wait for a while?

Already tried (see my previous message) with same result. Server is not
closing connection immediately, but wait for few seconds. Same thing happens
when using Web browser (Mozilla 0.9.1) - "Connection timed out" error is
reported. Here is what I've changed in my squid.conf from default values
(I've also defined and utilized couple ACLs, but I guess this is not problem
since access is not denied):

http_port 8080
tcp_outgoing_address 10.0.0.1 # my host address here
always_direct allow local-servers # local-servers is ACL for my local network
cache_mem 16 MB
cache_dir ufs /var/spool/cache 1000 16 256
cache_access_log /var/log/cache/access.log
cache_log /var/log/cache/cache.log
cache_store_log /var/log/cache/store.log
pid_filename /var/run/squid.pid
ftp_user squid@proxy_host.my.domain.com
cache_mgr squid@proxy_host.my.domain.com
cache_effective_user nobody
cache_effective_group nobody
visible_hostname proxy_host.my.domain.com
debug_options ALL,9

Thanks.