[squid-users] performance: max. # of parallel users

From: Winfried Fromm <winfried.fromm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 13:44:22 +0200

Hi squid admins,

I have a performance related question.
If I build a *transparent* squid proxy with *no* cache enabled(!) -> how many
parallel users with "normal surfing behaviour" will be able to use that proxy
without tearing the performance down to much? (roughly estimated!)

The Configuration:

- Sun Netra T1
- 1 x 440 MHz CPU
- 512 MB RAM
- 100 MBit uplink
- OS: Sun Solaris 7
- Squid 2.4 transparent, no cache

How many real users will be able to use this machine, presuming that they will
behave as a normal surfer (downloding a page - reading for a few seconds -
downloading the next page - reading - downloading a bigger file .....)

I think the performance will probably be restricted just by the uplink bandwith,
but I never really tried it...
Has anybody real experience with that?

Thank you!

Best regards,