Re: Re: [squid-users] poor persistent connection utilization when a parent is set up

From: Jiri Bohac <bohaj9am@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 13:40:51 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> Jiri Bohac wrote:
>
> > can the problem be on my side? What should I try manually to check if my
> > ISP's cache works well with pconns?
>
> Probably the ISP has disabled persistent client connections.
>
> What you did (configuring Squid to use the ISP proxy) is about just as
> good test as any.

well, I checked manually by telnet and when I do

GET http://some_site/ HTTP/1.0
connection: keep-alive

The ISP's proxy keeps the connection open, ready for the next request. But
only for some sites!!! For different ones, the connection is closed.

When I try to telnet to my proxy, repeatedly downloading the same site
(one of those that keep the connection open with the ISP's cache) with a
pragma: no-cache, sometimes the connection between my proxy and the parent
proxy stays up.

So in the cachemgr -> persistent conn. utilization, I can see
req/
conn count
---- ---------
   1 ....manymany_requests (thousands)
   2 few
3,4,.. hardly any

But with longer term, normal-operation usage, there is almost always 1
request/connection and maybe 1 or 2 other that kept persistent for a few
requests.

Why is it that for some (probably most) sites, the connection of my ISP
proxy closes after the first request? Is that because of the missing
Content-Length? But why is it missing, if the parent is a squid
(2.3.STABLE1)? Even if the length is not received from the upsream server,
the ISP's cache could count the bytes itself, I think...

Jiri