Re: [squid-users] squid performance

From: Joel Jaeggli <joelja@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 14:23:25 -0700 (PDT)

actually on a switched ethernet segement between two hosts, you can get
darn close to line rate... between two hosts on our campus (different
subnets, gig in the core) I can move a file via ftp at 89Mb/s, ttcp will
push 96Mb/s over the same path.

on a shared ethernet fabric with a small number of hosts loss due to
collisions will probably limit you to maybe 60% of line rate.

that being said we're talking about performance of of a database app here
(squid) so your bottlenecks by in large are probably not in the network...

joelja

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001, Adam Lang wrote:

> You're never going to get 100 Mbps.
>
> For starters, the theoretical maximum of Ethernet is about 37% of raw wire
> speed. So even under most ideal conditions, you are never getting above
> 37Mbps on a 100 Mbps line.
>
> Next, some of that bandwidth that is not being measured but neccessary, are
> the hosts talking back and forth with each other... outside of the actual
> data being transfered.
>
> Finally, if you are plugged into a hub, you have to divided the amount of
> available bandwidth by the number of active hosts (hubs are shared
> bandwidth, sqitches aren't).
>
> If you have a 100 Mbps line, with three hosts talking on it at the same
> time, you are looking at:
>
> 100 x .37 / 3 = 11Mbps.
>
> Then you have to figure chatter between the hosts to keep a TCP session
> going... makes you realize the bandwidth still is not that amazing. :)
>
> Of course I don't have a degree in electrical engineering and the books I
> have read could be all bunk, but this is how I understand things work.
>
> Adam Lang
> Systems Engineer
> Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
> http://www.rutgersinsurance.com

Joel Jaeggli				       joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
Academic User Services			     consult@gladstone.uoregon.edu
     PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E
It is clear that the arm of criticism cannot replace the criticism of
arms.  Karl Marx -- Introduction to the critique of Hegel's Philosophy of
the right, 1843.