RE: [squid-users] Hardware spec -- opinions?

From: Palmer J.D.F. <J.D.F.Palmer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 16:11:11 +0100

Probably overkill but if you have the cash then great.

We use raid 0 on our main cache here at Swansea Uni. It has been pointed
out to me by JANET, who run several 5 clusters of Linux servers to form the
National Cache, that RAID anything is not really necessary as squid does
round robin on cache_dir anyway.

We serve only 450 machines but most of these are Open Access student
machines, which means that 95% of the time they are making cache requests.
We get about .9 - 1.2 million requests/day here is an average day's stats:

Requests Satisfied by the cache: 460,248
Requests Proxied 456,233
Total number of requests served: 916,481 ***
Bytes sent for cache requests: 1,805,775,925
Bytes sent for proxy requests: 3,872,823,782
Total number of bytes sent: 5,678,599,707 ***

Cache Hit Rate
Requests: 50.22%
Number of Mb sent by this server: 5415.53
Number of hosts using this server: 427
Average number of requests/day: 916,481
Average number of requests/hour: 38186.71
Average number of requests/minute: 636.45

We run a Dual P3 450, 36Gb Raid 0, 512Mb RAM, Linux. And other than a
temporarily unreliable disk we have no problems.

Were happy with Linux, but there is talk of getting an Ultra 10 to do the
job.

Hope this is some use.

Jezz.

Jezz Palmer.