Re: [squid-users] Re: Squid Mailing List (fwd)

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 09:41:41 +0200

Mailing List User wrote:

> Requests coming into the Squid box from IE through Gauntlet are of the
> following format:
>
> GET http://203.26.51.42/ HTTP/1.0
> Accept: */*
> Host: www.smh.com.au

> Here, the Host: header is being extracted from the GET line and
> not the Host: line. I believe this is the problem.

The real problem is the GET line. HTTP defines the host name in the URL
to take precendence over any Host header.

Squid normalizes any Host headers to what it think is the requested
host. This to ensure cache consistency, allowing you to detect these
problems immediately. If Squid did not you would see a very odd result,
where users randomly get different name based virtual servers from the
host depending on what other users had requested before them..

> Does anyone here know how I would go about fixing this to make Squid
> forward the Host: line correctly? - or even any variations on our
> configuration for Gauntlet and/or Squid which would cause the requests to
> be forwarded correctly? (besides placing the Squid box inside the firewall
> - we would prefer not to do that at this stage).

Fix Gauntlet to properly forward the requests to Squid.

Or if impossible, add a directive to Squid to work around the Gauntlet
bug by always using the Host header if available and not the host name
from the URL.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Suqid Hacker