[squid-users] some Squid implementation questions?

From: <Sadhna.Ahuja@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 13:25:52 -0500

Hi,
        For some reason, I still have to work with Squid-2.3, so my
questions might not be relevant to the newer versions, but I would greatly
appreciate any help.

1. The first time when Squid is run with the -z option, the directory
structure is created and the file_map is also created for the SwapDir.
store_dir.c: storeDirConfigure():
        if (NULL == SD->map)
                SD->map = file_map_create();
Is this info (or the complete SwapDir struct) stored to be used when Squid
is run again (without -z) ? Or, is a new file_map created again?

2. How is the Config.cacheSwap structure initialized every time Squid is
run?

3. When an object needs to be deleted from the cache, storeRelease() is
used. I can see how StoreEntry is removed from the hash table and all the
structures are freed up. But how is the actual data on the physical disk
deleted? I don't believe that only resetting the corresponding bit in the
file_map would be sufficient, right?

4. The max number of files in a swap directory is set to FM_INITIAL_NUMBER =
(1<<14). Is there a specific reason to choose this number?

Thanks in advance,
Sadhna.