Re: [squid-users] game server

From: Robin Stevens <robin.stevens@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 11:52:41 +0100

On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 03:43:38PM +0800, TomC wrote:
> [...]

I'm a little surprised that it doesn't work, to be honest. Almost of the
sites we've needed to exempt completely from our transparent cache are
those using IP-based authentication (academic journals etc). Other
problems are consistency of source IP (fixed by using the hash algorithm to
distribute requests among the cache pool) or else problems with using our
parent caches, which can be dealt with in the squid configuration.

We did encounter some problems in the past owing to interoperability
problems with squid and the NAT code of ipfilter 3.4, which requires a
patch to squid to fix (I believe the patch is incorporated into the
default squid 2.4 tree). This primarily affected clients other than web
browsers sending HTTP requests but with only a relative path and no Host:
header.

> We're using alteon to redirect packets.
> Need to config in alteon?

While this is going a little offtopic as it's not squid-specific:
our method of doing such exemptions is to use a little shell script to
generate the Acedirector commands and then paste those into a session on
the commandline interface on the Alteon.

Note that the commands vary slightly according to the WebOS release and
your setup - these are appropriate to WebOS 8.0 on our system, where port 9
is the fibre link between the Alteon and gateway router.

#!/bin/bash

echo "IP address? "
read ADDRESS
echo "IP mask? "
read MASK
echo "Filter no? (Last filter used was probably $LASTFILTER) "
read FILTER

echo
echo "Add the following to the acedirector configuration:"
echo
echo /cfg/slb/filt $FILTER/sip any/smask 0.0.0.0
echo /cfg/slb/filt $FILTER/dip $ADDRESS/dmask $MASK
echo /cfg/slb/filt $FILTER/proto tcp/sport any/dport http
echo /cfg/slb/filt $FILTER/adv/log disabled
echo /cfg/slb/filt $FILTER/action allow/ena
echo /cfg/slb/port 9/add $FILTER
echo
echo "Don't forget to 'apply' and 'save' the configuration!"

        Robin

--
--------------- Robin Stevens  <robin.stevens@oucs.ox.ac.uk> -----------------
Oxford University Computing Services ----------- Web: http://www.cynic.org.uk/