Re: [squid-users] New user

From: Martin A. Brooks <martin@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 17:44:21 +0100

At 11:46 15/06/01 -0400, Bradley Brown wrote:
>Hello all,
> I am trying to add a new user to my system. I created the user
>through the usual system tools and copied the /etc/shadow file to the
>passwd file in the squid etc directory.
> Every time I try to log in as the new user I get proxy authorization
>failed. I have changed the password and tried copying shadow over
>again... but no luck. Every time I made a change I would restart squid.
> Any suggestions??? I am using squid 2.2stable4 on Unixware 711.
>Bradley

I'm assuming you're using NCSA authentication, you don't tell us any different.

1) The format of the file used for NSCA authentication and that used by
shadow are different. It'd never work.
2) Even /trying/ to the contents of shadow is, frankly, stupid. Your root
password is in there too and Squid puts no limit on the speed at which
authentication requests are made. Automated password cracker anyone?

Can I now suggest actually reading the documentation on how to use NCSA
authentication?

Regards

Martin A. Brooks
You're just jealous because the little voices are talking to /me/.