[squid-users] forward all requests to another proxy? (question about FAQ answer)

From: Jim Mercer <jim@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 11:07:14 -0400

i found the answer to one of my problems with:

4.9 How do I configure Squid forward all requests to another proxy?

however, i need a clarification.

with a statement like:
cache_peer parentcache.foo.com parent 3128 0 no-query default

in my squid.conf, and parentcache.foo.com has multiple A records, will
squid use alternating A records when fetching?

or should i set up several cache_peer statements using the ipaddrs and
add a round-robin statement?

the issue here is that:
- the upstream denys all regular http traffic
- the upstream provides a cache at parentcache.foo.com:8080
- the upstream will not do ICP
- the upstream proxy does not like some https://mydomain.com:1234 URL's
(where mydomain.com is located on the same network as the browsers)

i recognize there are multiple methods of resolving these issues, including
various firewall redirections and setting the browser proxy setting to except
mydomain.com from proxy.

however, there are other requirements which want the local browsers to go
through the local cache first.

so, to reiterate, if one uses a cache_peer statement with a hostname which
has multiple A records, will squid use the multiple A's in a sensible fashion
or just use one, or will it resolve the hostname each time?

--
[ Jim Mercer jim@reptiles.org +1 416 410-5633 ]
[ Now with more and longer words for your reading enjoyment. ]