Re: [squid-users] How to avoid reverse lookups ?

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 09:18:05 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 18 Jun 2001, Claude Buisson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Quoting squid.conf:
>
> # For dstdomain and dstdom_regex a reverse lookup is tried if a IP
> # based URL is used. The name "none" is used if the reverse lookup
> # fails.
>
> How this reverse lookup may be avoided ? The considered system has no way
> to do a meaningful lookup (just passing the request to another squid, if
> permitted by the acls).

If you're using dstdomain/dstdom_regex, and the user puts an IP address
in the URL, you cannot avoid the reverse lookup.

If you're worried that the reverse lookup adds some delay, then I suggest
putting this in /etc/resolv.conf:

        server 127.0.0.1

Then, since don't have a name server running on the machine, the
lookup fails quickly.