RE: [squid-users] Is there any way to use proxy_auth with MD5 onl y server?

From: Chemolli Francesco (USI) <ChemolliF@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 14:11:01 +0200

> Hello!
>
> "the passwd helpers" ?
>
> Could anybody tell me any pointers and docs ...

Squid does not perform user authentication by itself, but it
relies on external processes ("helper servers" [1]) which it talks to
and that perform the actual authentication on squid's behalf.
In particular the "NCSA" auth-module uses the system-supplied
crypt() function to perform authentication against a passwd-like file.
So if your system can support an encryption scheme, than Squid
can use that too.

--
	/kinkie
[1] There is a bit of confusion going on about the actual terms
to be used here and to what they refer. Here I try to clarify a bit
of terms, hopefully I won't instead increase the confusion levels:
An "Auth scheme" (scheme for short) refers to some protocol that
clients (browsers) and servers (squid) can use to perform the
authentication operation.
Squid 2.4 supports only the Basic auth scheme, Squid 2.5 will support
Basic, NTLM (aka Windows single-sign-on) and Digest.
An "Auth helper" (helper for short) is a portion of squid code that
handles some auth scheme. This can refer to both intra-process code
or extra-process code. This is a 2.5 term, in squid 2.4 those are called
"auth modules".
An "Helper server" (server for short) is an external process, an instance of
an auth helper, which actually performs the authentication operation.