Re: [squid-users] Compile Squid for Windows

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 05:08:39 +0200

Robert Collins wrote:

> 2) Can we see the whole cache.log please? Henrik has indicated that 504
> probably means broken DNS, but that HEAD version of squid should read
> the DNS servers out of the registry - we need to see if that is broken.

504 is a generic "catch all" error code for proxies when the proxy could
not complete the operation. The most common case for Squid (on all
platforms) to not be able to complete basic proxy requests on initial
install is DNS not working proper.

The second most common reason is running Squid behind a firewall without
configuring cache_peer+never_direct settings.

Third case is improper routing on the Squid server host, but this is
usually noticed quite quickly without the need for help..