[squid-users] Using two caches to direct traffic at two gateways

From: Phillip Morgan <pjmorgan@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 21:50:33 +1000

Hi,

I'm running slackware linux, with kernel 2.2.18, and squid-2.4stable1 on
a Pentium III / 733 with 384mb RAM. I have one cache directory
(/var/spool/cache), which is 11 gigs. This cache has a peer cache. I've
also set asside another 4 gigs for another cache which I'd like to use,
with the same peer, but going by a different DNS name such that I can
point various clients at it and have the traffic directed through a
different gateway.

Eg.

Current set up.

+---------+ +--------+ +----------+
| Client1 | ----------- | proxy1 | ------------ | Gateway1 | ------>
Cable 1 to Internet
+---------+ +--------+ +----------+

Required setup

                     +=============+
                     : :
+---------+ : +--------+ : +----------+
| Client1 | ----------- | proxy1 | ------------ | Gateway1 | ------>
Cable 1 to Internet
+---------+ : +--------+ : +----------+
                     : :
+---------+ : +--------+ : +----------+
| Client2 | ----------- | proxy2 | ------------ | Gateway2 | ------>
Cable 2 to Internet
+---------+ : +--------+ : +----------+
                     : :
Single copy of Squid -----^

Since a single copy of squid is servicing all this, do I need to have
proxy1 and proxy2 defined in my DNS files as separate entries (they are
going to be the same physical machine anyway).

What settings might I need in squid's config, and if you can assit, what
entries if any would be needed in other places, such as DNS??

TIA

Phill