[squid-users] A few questions..

From: Trail <trail@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 23:47:53 +0200

Hi all,

I installed squid and everything worked fine for a few days...

I only use squid for my own private lan with 3 networks with only 5 pcs in them...
But i want to speed up my internet.. so because discspace is cheap i went overboard...
I decided to make a old unused 10g drive a new 10g separate partition for squid...

My disc cache settings are now 8000 16 256 (question 1a) ok?)
My mem settings are 64mb max.. in a 256mb machine ((question 1b) too much?)

Everything worked as usual after initializing the new cache dir...
So i told my lan users to go trought their favorite lists and cache as much as possible.. just for fun...
I did the same.. and suddenly squid stopped processing requests... all lan users complained about crashing webpages...

When i didn't use the proxy everything worked.. and nothing showed in messages, squid access, cache, store logs, and squid was still running...
dmesg also didn't print anything unusual... no hints.. no clues.... i did a tcpdump (actually a iptraf ip traffic analyzer) and saw my request being made on my interface.... without replies from squid (duh).... no further clues...

Because i just restarted my server after being down for putting that 10g drive in, i wouldn't waste any uptime by rebooting so i did.. and everything returned to normal...

(question 2) Any ideas as how this could have happend ?

Kind regards,
Trail.