RE: [squid-users] dansguardian as a patch for Squid

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 07:53:16 -0600 (MDT)

Robert,

        iCAP seems to gain popularity these days; Squid is likely to
end up supporting it, eventually. Would it be possible to use iCAP for
both external modules and internal, compiled-in modules? I think that
iCAP is transport-layer independent so we could just pass the request
information to internal modules using function calls as opposed to
sockets that have to be used for external stuff.

        If the above is feasible, one could write code that can be
used both as a stand alone program and as a compiled-in module, with
95% of the code and logic being exactly the same. Moreover, we could
provide a simple ICAP library that completely masks the distinction
(i.e., transport layer becomes the responsibility of a library).

        Just a thought...

Alex.