[squid-users] Resolving host takes forever

From: Ilya Palagin <ipalagin@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 17:18:31 +0700

Hi,

My system is:
Mandrake 7.0
squid-head-200106222300-src.tar.gz (the daily stable 2.4 two weeks old
had the same problem), transparent mode
128k ISDN ppp
BIND caching DNS server

The story:
A few weeks ago I had to updgrade squid which came with Mandrake 7.0
(more than one year old). The reason was suddenly appeared "FD -1: fcntl
F_GETFL: (9) Bad file descriptor" in cache.log file, at the same time
squid didn't work.

First I installed the stable 2.4 version, which worked fine for some
time. Then my users complained, that "Internet doesn't work". I checked
squid, it was up and running, no error messages, but when a client tried
to connect somewhere, the host he wanted to reach couldn't be resolved.
Recently cached pages were accessible. After I restared squid it worked
for some time again, but then couldn't resolve a host again.

Some info:
I'm running caching dns, resolve.conf contains 127.0.0.1, squid sends
requests to default dns. When it can't resolve hosts, dns works fine,
because hosts names a resolvable from any other application (ping, dig,
etc) from both the server console and the local network. Other services
work too (smtp, pop, ssh), so something is wrong with squid. Please, let
me know, if you have any suggestions.

Thanks,
Ilya.