[squid-users] Transparent Proxy: Not wroking for LAN users but working for Dial-in user

From: Dr. Ajay N. Khosla <ankh@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 12:03:37 +0530

We configure cisco 1720 ver 12.0(3)T using following command

access-list 110 deny tcp any any neq www
access-list 110 deny tcp host xxx.xxx..64.2 any
access-list 110 permit tcp any any
!
route-map proxy-redirect permit 10
   match ip address 110
   set ip next-hop xxx.xxx.64.2
!
interface FastEthernet0
   ip policy route-map proxy-redirect
!

We are running ipfilter 3.3.6 in SunUltra 5 box and redirect local
web server traffic to port 80 of web server and all other 80 port
traffic to squid.

rdr hme0 xxx.xxx.64.5/32 port 80 -> xxx.xxx.64.5 port 80 tcp
rdr hme0 0.0.0.0/0 port 80 -> xxx.xxx.64.2 port 3128 tcp

Transparent proxy working very well with all dial-in users. But all local
LAN users connected via VPN server using PPTP protocol and use Internet
unable to browse. DNS query resolve, but there is no response afterword. Anyway
they are able to browse local web server. When local users set proxy setting
in their browser to use proxy server xxx.xxx.64.22 port 3128. They are able
to browse internet.

I don't know why transparent proxy is not working for LAN users. When I remove
following command

"ip policy route-map proxy-redirect"

from cisco router. Both dial-in and LAN users are able to browse without any proxy setting
in their browser. Whenever I apply policy routing in cisco router and try to use transparent
proxy. Trouble start for local users.

Can anybody suggest something to solve this problem.

with best regards,
Dr. Ajay N. Khosla