Re: [squid-users] Logging user names

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 12:07:36 +0200

Peter Wood wrote:

> Alas no. The users all had the same login details for both local NT login
> and SINA but divergence in the passwords has occured since then.

Am I correct in that you want the proxy to log the login information
even if the proxy as such does not care about managing logins?

This can theoretically be done by using log_mime_hdrs, and then
postprocess the logs to extract the relevant HTTP header information,
but be warned that this will log a lot of information, including
passwords both for the parent proxy and many web sites... If this is too
much then hacking the code to log the parent proxy user name is also
possible.

Another approach would be to make your proxy validate the login before
forwarding the request. Writing a auth helper that validates the login
to another proxy shouldn't be too hard. This way your proxy will know
the username. In effect the users will be logging in to your proxy which
uses the parent proxy to validate the password.

A third approach woul be to use some other method of identifying the
users. For example ident.

--
Henrik Nordstrom