[squid-users] authentication abuse

From: Peter Kassies <p.kassies@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 17:43:13 +0200

Hello,

I'm running:
- Squid v2.3.3 (in a parent and child cluster)
- NCSA (for user authentication purposes)
- Junkbusters (to filter out the banners)
- SARG (for analysis of the logfile)

I've also created a script which does all the dirty work (clean up logfiles)
automatically, so it's basically a "zero administration proxyservice" for
about 20k users within our organisation.

With NCSA we have a problem that people are "sharing" the same proxy
account. This is very annoing, because we check on abuse reguarly and cannot
determine who was responsible. Of course we can analyse the logfiles on
ipaddresses, but this is a lot of work and does not solve the problem.

What I really would like is to prevent users from using the same
username/password at the SAME time. If a second/third person would use the
combination, all users should be banned or have to re-authenticate
themselves.

When implemented this script is going to cause hell on our servicedesk,
where people will complain that they cannot surf anymore. This is great,
because we can check them if they really have an account.

Is there such a tool?

Peter Kassies