[squid-users] New to squid and really need help with peer config

From: Ham Frulong <thechile@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 16:46:06 +0100

Hi,

I am pretty new too squid and am having some trouble figuring some stuff out
and
would really appreciate if someone could advise a solution as to how I can
accomplish
the below.

I have installed squid on a Linux box and the only changes I have made to
the default .conf file is below:

---changes start -----------------------
dns_nameservers 193.0.9.5
# Local Windows DNS to resolve local intranet and exchange info #

acl all src 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
acl GOOD dst 193.0.9.252 193.0.9.251
# Local internal intranet sites the everyone should be able to access #

http_access allow GOOD
http_access deny all

deny_info ERR_DENY_TEST all
# If they try and access a site out with the local intranet then display a
custom error telling them that there is no internet access. #
---changes end -----------------------

This is working fine, but we have just got a new proxy server installed with
internet access and I would like to be able to forward users to this new
proxy server if certain criteria are made. For example if the users IP
address is granted internet access then forward them to the new proxy server
and allow internet access.

So something like:

If users IP address is 193.0.9.102 then forward there proxy request to new
internet proxy at 172.16.45.** on port 8080 while still allowing everyone
access to the
intranet site and denying others internet access.

We have about 1000 workstations which over time more will be granted access
to the internet so I am not sure if denying based on IP address is the best
idea. Is there another better way to limit access so only user X will be
forwarded to internet proxy and allow easier administration when the user
list grows
bigger.

Also if I can redirect users to the new proxy, would the box forwarding the
proxy participate in the data transfer or would it be a direct link between
the internet proxy and the client after squid forwards it?

Thank you very much for reading and any ideas or example code would would be
great,
Scott