Re: [squid-users] cache_dir problems

From: Marc Elsen <marc.elsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 15:31:13 +0200

Torsten.Lange@GECITS-EU.COM wrote:

> team,
>
> i am still running squid-2.3.stable4 on a dell poweredge 1550 / scsi3
> system
>
> the problem is that my cache_dirs always fill up to 100% disk space and
> squid
> crashes.
>
> i looked into src/store.c for the 'semicolon'-bug as reported for
> 2.3.stable3 - but
> everything looked okay there.
>
> any ideas what could still cause such a problem
>
> my squid.conf is like:
> -------------------------------
> cache_dir ufs /cache1 10000 24 256
> cache_dir ufs /cache2 10000 24 256
>
> the partitions are 12gb each - and i don't think the caches do generate 2gb
> of overhead!?
>
> any ideas???

 I can only say that my SQUID 2.4S1 started trimming a all of my
cache dirs when I first used it.
Relevant logs were seen in cache.log. Presumably 2.3S4 has bugs
concerning
maintaining the swap dirs to the specified size in the conf file.

In my case, it lead to a string of events which were difficult to
control :
the SQUID was configured to use aufs. When I launched 2.4S1 for the
first time
it lead to a aufs-meltdown on my machine,because of the cache-dir
trimming
activity of SQUID.
My system froze and I could do nothing anymore (except searching for
the power button...)

The only solution, was to temp. use ufs instead of aufs for the cache
dirs.
Then SQUID happily continued reducing the size of my cache dirs.

Afterwards I enabled aufs again.

Marc.