[squid-users] cannot config a parent proxy

From: Pete Shinners <pete@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 15:05:43 -0700

i've tried everything i could find to configure squid to use a
parent proxy. my situation is i have junkbuster and squid running
on the same machine. manually setting my browser's proxy to either
one of these works fine. now i've set up some transparent redirection
so that all outgoing port80 traffice gets sent through squid. that
is all working good too.

the only thing i have left to do is get squid to send its requests
to junkbuster. (whew, lots of steps, but this is the last step, and
its not working).

the best information i could find on the internet said to add
the following line to my config...

cache_peer 127.0.0.1 parent 5865 7 no-query default

(junkbuster is on its default port, 5865)
i've put this in and restarted squid, but it does not send the
requests through to junkbuster. it just goes straight out to
the internet. is this the correct way to do it? the info i got
this from mentioned i might also need to change some of the
firewall settings (like inside_firewall). these seem to be gone
from my squid version, so i'm guessing this info is a bit out-
dated?

btw, i am running squid 2.2.STABLE5

on the other hand, at this point i'm really only using squid for
it's ability to handle the transparent redirection. is there a
lighter way to do this? if i could get a slimmer program to work, i
probably would, since squid is a bit of an overkill for my needs.
what i really want is something to go from transparent redirection
to junkbuster. at this point it seems like squid is my best bet :-/