Re: [squid-users] Squid on FreeBSD

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 18:17:09 -0600 (MDT)

On Fri, 13 Jul 2001, Kris Amy wrote:

> I have compiled squid 2.4.STABLE1 on FreeBSD 4.3 but i get this error on every client request and the client get's an error of 'The server returned an invalid or unrecognizable reponse.' Here is the an exerpt from cache.log does anyone know what is wrong?

Kris,

I'll bet your problem is the GCC optimization bug. If you're using the FreeBSD port
thingy, you may want to update that. I think Adrian patched it recently. Otherwise,
see if this new FAQ entry helps:

  11.48. Segment Violation at startup or upon first request

  Some versions of GCC (notably 2.95.1 through 2.95.3) have bugs with
  compiler optimization. These GCC bugs may cause NULL pointer accesses
  in Squid, resulting in a ``FATAL: Received Segment Violation...dying''
  message and a core dump.

  You can work around these GCC bugs by disabling compiler optimization.
  The best way to do that is start with a clean source tree and set the
  CC options specifically:

  % cd squid-x.y
  % make distclean
  % setenv CFLAGS='-g -Wall'
  % ./configure ...

  To check that you did it right, you can search for AC_CFLAGS in
  src/Makefile:

  % grep AC_CFLAGS src/Makefile
  AC_CFLAGS = -g -Wall

  Now when you recompile, GCC won't try to optimize anything:

  % make
  Making all in lib...
  gcc -g -Wall -I../include -I../include -c rfc1123.c

  NOTE: some people worry that disabling compiler optimization will
  negatively impact Squid's performance. The impact should be
  negligible, unless your cache is really busy and already runs at a
  high CPU usage. For most people, the compiler optimization makes
  little or no difference at all.