[squid-users] Multiple internal domains plus short names

From: Andy Stranks <andy.stranks@dont-contact.us>
Date: 13 Jul 2001 13:05:34 +0100

Hi,

I'm currently running a multiple layered proxy for my company with
siblings at each office and two parents at our London office connected
to the Net. At the moment we use a cgi script to output
auto-configuration details to the users browser informing them of where
to send the request based on domain and the users location. At the
moment this tells the browser to go direct should the server be
resolvable via our internal DNS.

The problem this has caused however is that users have got lazy and are
now using just the server name when connecting to internal systems
instead of the FQDN. This results in problems now that I wish to cache
internally as well as externally as I can't tell the siblings to collect
directly based on the domain instead of forwarding to the parents.

Can anyone help me out, I have 4 or 5 internal domains (yeah I know)
which I wish to cache and I'm running Squid 2.4 rel1.

Many thanks in advance.

Andy Stranks