[squid-users] Why is Squid failing on some pages?

From: Steve Snyder <swsnyder@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 09:31:48 -0500

Yesterday I set up a new Squid (version 2.4S1 /w posted patches applied)
installation running on RedHat v7.1. Now I find that some very specific
pages won't load. The pages load fine without Squid, but if gotten via
Squid I get one of these 2 errors:

  (111) Connection refused
  (110) Connection timed out

A diff of my squid.conf vs. squid.conf.default is shown below. You'll see
that I have configured for a transparent proxy, but that's not relevant to
this problem. If I disable redirection in my firewall, and simply specify
the Squid proxy in my browser proxy settings I get the same behavior. If I
then configure my browser for direct connect (no proxy) the failing pages
are gotten without error. This tells me that the networking between my
browser and Web server x is ok, and that it is Squid which is causing some
pages not to load.

Here's a couple of actual examples:

No problem loading this via Squid:

  http://www.theinquirer.net/

Then I try this:

  http://www.theregister.co.uk/

and get this error:

  While trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.theregister.co.uk/

  The following error was encountered:

    * Connection Failed

  The system returned:

  (110) Connection timed out

  The remote host or network may be down. Please try the request again.

Removing Squid from my browser config allows " http://www.theregister.co.uk"
to be loaded.

Here's an interesting one:

Fetching "http://www.morningstar.com/" works fine, but clicking on the
Portfolio link, "http://portfolio.morningstar.com/", gets me this error:

  While trying to retrieve the URL: http://portfolio.morningstar.com/

  The following error was encountered:

    * Connection Failed

  The system returned:

  (111) Connection refused

  The remote host or network may be down. Please try the request again.

Can anyone tell me what's going on here?

Thank you.

# diff squid.conf.default squid.conf

56c56
< # icp_port 3130

---
> icp_port 0
70c70
< # htcp_port 4827
---
> #htcp_port 0
366a367,369
> acl gatorcom dstdomain .gator.com
> acl flyswatcom dstdomain .flyswat.com
> acl clickthebutton dstdomain .clickthebutton.com
368c371,373
<
---
> no_cache deny gatorcom
> no_cache deny flyswatcom
> no_cache deny clickthebutton
406c411
< # cache_mem 8 MB
---
> cache_mem 32 MB
439c444
< # maximum_object_size 4096 KB
---
> maximum_object_size 8192 KB
456c461
< # maximum_object_size_in_memory 8 KB
---
> maximum_object_size_in_memory 64 KB
602c607,613
< # cache_dir ufs /var/spool/squid 100 16 256
---
> cache_dir aufs /var/spool/squid 288 1 256
627a639
> cache_store_log none
677c689
< # log_ip_on_direct on
---
> log_ip_on_direct off
881c893
< # none
---
> redirect_program /etc/squid/adzapper/squid_redirect
890c902
< # redirect_children 5
---
> redirect_children 8
1117c1129
< # reference_age 1 year
---
> # reference_age 6 months
1420a1433
> acl snydernet src 192.168.0.0/255.255.255.0
1442c1455
< #
---

1455a1469