RE: [squid-users] Help with SQUID

From: Chemolli Francesco (USI) <ChemolliF@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 17:18:01 +0200

> Hello I wonder if you can help me:
>
> What I want to Do?
>
> At present we run two NT 4.0 domains on the same subnet, this
> is our internal
> network. What I would like is to use Linux+Squid as a proxy
> server to give users
> access to the Internet. But I want is the Linux server to
> authenticate users against
> the NT Domain (so I do not have to maintain lists). Plus I
> want to use a mail server.

Squid 2.5 allows to use MSIE's single-sign-on features. However, Squid
doesn't yet support groups-based authorization.

> This mail server is to be MS Exchange which will be inside
> (in the internal network).

You really like pain, don't you?

> So I want linux+squid to pass e-mails from the Internet to
> the Exchange box. I would

It can't be done, unless the Squid box is configured as a router
or you installa some SMTP server (sendmail, postfix, qmail to name a few)
and configure it to relay incoming mail to exchange.
Squid itself doesn't grok SMTP.

> like to offer the Web based version of Outlook to our remote
> workers. So I want the
> Linux+Squid box to pass requests from the Internet to the
> internal exchange server.

This can be done in many different ways.

> Can this be done?
>
> If you can help with any of it or suggest a web site please
> let me know?

It really depends on your network architecture.

> We are a small sixth form college, so we do not have much
> cash to buy all of the MS
> products.

Very very typical :)

Basically it all boils down to:
is the box you intend to run Squid on your access point to the Internet
(router/firewall)?
If so, it's all a matter of creating a carefully-crafted firewall.
If not, it is not sensible to go through the box for EVERYTHING, it would
just add unnecessary cruft.

--
	/kinkie