[squid-users] Squid 2.3STABLE5 on NT - FD problem

From: Paul Sobey <paul.sobey@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2001 09:34:21 +0100

Good morning,

I have just installed a brand new shiny NT box in my DMZ to run several
apps, including Squid for NT to provide proxying services for around 100
users. The configuration is as follows:

NT4 Server sp6a
Squid 2.3 STABLE 5 binary (from
http://www.serassio.it/download/squid-2.3.STABLE5-NT-bin.zip)
All MS networking (NetBIOS, Server, Workstation etc.) removed
Squid running as local non-admin user (NT service)
Cache on 2 x separate NTFS partitions

Twice yesterday, Squid crashed and had to be manually restarted. The
single error in cache.log was:

2001/07/23 15:19:56| assertion failed: E:\work\nt-2.3\src\fd.c:54: "fd <
Squid_MaxFD"

Can anyone suggest what might be going on? From reading various posts in
the archives of the list I'm assuming that FD is file descriptors, and
that the message is a debugging message, but that's as far as my C goes
I'm afraid.

Any suggestions more than welcome! If there's more information I should
proivide to help debug please let me know.

Cheers,
Paul Sobey
London