RE: [squid-users] PLEASE HELP: Large cache deployment and squid

From: Chemolli Francesco (USI) <ChemolliF@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 09:02:39 +0200

> PLEASE HELP
>
> I have been trying to post a questoin about very large cache
> to the list but
> have not succeeded.
>
> Anyways, I have the following situation, and don't know if
> anybody has faced
> it
> as well.
>
> 2 * 1GHz PIII
> Intel Server Motherboard (ServerWorks PCI compiled in the kernel.)
> 1GB RAM
> cache_mem = 2MB

How come this little cache_mem? You have plenty of RAM, use it...

> pagecache = 2 15 75
> SCSI HDD
> cache_dir = 3 * 13GB on different disks
> linux kernel = 2.4.2-2 smp (recompiled to remove all
> unnecessary stuff and )
> squid version = 2.4STABLE1 (from redhat rawhide) (had to
> install openssl as
> well)
>
> After 12 hours of use even 150+ request / minute (yes
> minutes) squid takes
> up 70%+ CPU.

I have half your CPU speed and manage 150+ req/sec (280 during peak-time).
I don't get those kinds of loads.

> It has also happened to me with 2.3STABLE4 (from default
> rh7.1 linux cd)
> kreiserfsd taking up 10% cpu at times

Check out Joe Cooper's performance tuneups (they are referenced
from somewhere on the Squid site).
The only case I had of such a CPU usage was when using a broken
--enable-time-hack.
I'd suggest that you rebuild squid from scratch on your system (from the
tarball)

> memory cache goes to 555MB+ that's what vmstat shows. squid
> takes up ~20MB
> as shown by top

the 500Mb part is not strange, since Linux allocates all unused RAM to that.

> Strace showed me the following after the 12 hour check (poll %time is
> surprising)
> 100.11 -2088636.745941 -440 2907882 poll

Squid is spinning like crazy in the select loop.
Might be an effect of --enable-time-hack.

> All documents I read says Squid does not require more
> processing power, yet
> I gave it 2 x 1GHz. Is that a problem?

That's much more than you'll need unless you do more than
400 req/s.

--
	/kinkie