[squid-users] Performance problems with squid-2.3.STABLE4 and RedHat 7.1

From: Darryl Bond <dbond@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 16:30:48 +1000

Hello,
We have just upgraded our squid proxy server from a PII 233 Linux RedHat
5.0 with 128MB Ram to a Dual PPro with 512 MB Ram.
The old box has performed perfectly for several years.

The new proxy server is running squid-2.3.STABLE4 while the OS is RedHat
7.1 running the standard kernel.
We noticed a significant slowdown over our old box while accessing
internal web server. It appeared to be when accessing largish web pages
(25-50k of text) and is very consistant. Bypassing the proxy brings the
same pages up almost instantly.

I have checked and rechecked the settings which are almost identical to
the original settings.

By putting the debug level to ALL:2 I noticed that the following message
was coming up in the cache.log whenever there slowdown was noticable.
2001/07/27 14:43:19| clientReadRequest: FD 29: no data to process ((11)
Resource temporarily unavailable)

Network connectivity from the proxy to the servers is 100Mb/sec and
flood pings etc don't show anything here.

There doesn't seem to be any problems with FD usage, I haven't seen more
than 35 in use so far.

I suspect a tuning issue with the kernel and/or squid but I can't find
any references in any archives etc.

Any hints?

TIA

--