Re: [squid-users] http accelerator

From: Brian <hiryuu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 19:42:41 -0400

On Wednesday 01 August 2001 06:54 pm, ksamy@emmperative.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to caching. I want to know what is reverse proxy and HTTP
> accelerator? Is both are same?

They are the basically the same. From what I've seen, 'reverse proxy'
usually refers to a process running on a separate box, while 'httpd
accelerator' usually refer to a process on the same box.

HTTP accels are basically proxies on the server side, instead of the
client side. For instance, when you connect to one of our sites, you
actually connect to a squid server which may pass your request to one of
our real web servers.

Squid takes a lot of heat off of our web servers. In addition to the
obvious (squid caches popular requests), persistent connection are much
cheaper on squid than apache, and it buffers a small amount (16k by
default, but a couple of our's buffer 2MB), so requests don't tie up
apache while they're sent.

        -- Brian