Re: [squid-users] Squid getting too big?

From: Florin Andrei <florin@dont-contact.us>
Date: 06 Aug 2001 10:23:41 -0700

On 03 Aug 2001 08:56:05 -0400, Mike Diggins wrote:

> I'm concerned about how quickly Squid is growing in size. The cache has
> been up for only a few weeks. Up until yesterday it was growing slowly and
> was up to 230 MB, last night it was at 440 MB and this morning it's at 514
> MB according to TOP.
>
> The platform is Solaris 8 running on a Sun Ultra 10 with 1 GB RAM and two
> 16 GB cache dirs (separate disks). The cache is still only 40% full.
> Should I be concerned?

You're using squid-2.4, right?

I have the same problems with it, on Irix-6.5. The main process grows up
to 1.2...1.8 GB, then crashes, apparently from various reasons, but i
suspect the only thing behind those crashes is insufficient memory
(obvious, right?).
According to my estimations, the process size should be only 250...300
MB on my system. But, as you see, it goes up to six times bigger.

This thing apparently happens only when the proxy gets more than 50
requests / second, and the CPU usage goes near 100%.

On Linux i've heard contradictory reports. For some people, it doesn't
grow. For some other, it grows like hell. Maybe it's the same rule that
applies to me: if you get lots of hits, it will grow.

Looks like there are unfixed leaks still lurking in Squid's source.

--
Florin Andrei