Re: [squid-users] Squid and swap in linux 2.4

From: Robin Stevens <robin.stevens@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2001 23:05:44 +0100

On Tue, Aug 07, 2001 at 03:31:02PM -0400, Brian wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 August 2001 03:00 pm, Matt Stevens wrote:
> > I have a box that I recently upgraded to Squid 2.4 Stable 1. I also
> > upgraded the linux kernel to version 2.4. The box previously used little
> > or no swap (~3M) whereas now it's using over 100M of swap.
>
> This is normal behavior as of kernel 2.4.5. Blocks are not removed from
> swap after getting swapped back in to avoid fragmenting the swap
> partition. This can, and does, present a problem on systems where swap <
> 2xRAM.
>
> Possible fixes:
> * Repartition so swap >= 2xRAM. The maximum swap partition size is 2GB,
> so you will need more than one -- maybe 1.5 GB on each disk.
> * Disable swap. The kerndev folks say this is stable (mostly for embedded
> systems). I'm skeptical.

I've been trying this on a couple of squid servers running 2.4.x with x
between 4 and 7, having previously encountered swap problems.

So far I've noticed no problems because of it (1.5GB RAM each, squid
process using up to 1.0GB) but I'm keeping an eye on them. I can't think
of any circumstances under which the machines are going to fill the
remaining memory, though I'd appreciate any suggestions :-)

I have now configured a couple of swap partitions totalling more than
3.0GB, ready to be brought into use if I decide they're needed.

--
--------------- Robin Stevens  <robin.stevens@oucs.ox.ac.uk> -----------------
Oxford University Computing Services ----------- Web: http://www.cynic.org.uk/