Re: [squid-users] doubt in store.c

From: Adrian Chadd <adrian@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 03:47:35 -0600

On Mon, Aug 13, 2001, mani wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I came across two functions in the file stroe.c.
>
> 1.void storeSetPrivateKey(StoreEntry * e)
> 2.void storeSetPrivateKey(StoreEntry * e)

I guess you mean setPublic and SetPrivate, right? :)

> Why do we go for the private and public keys..? In what manner both differs.

There are two types of objects - public and private.
Public objects are objects that can be looked up and
used by other client connections. Private objects are
objects that only pertain to a single connection.

All objects start off as private. Once the headers are
in and various ACL/config matches have been made, if
the object is cacheable is made Public and the swapout
procedure starts. A public object can become private
if it becomes uncacheable (eg it grows to be too big,
or it closes before the download is finished, etc.)

Hope this helps,

Adrian