[squid-users] Re: Solaris & Squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 10:18:41 +0200

For WCCP to work you need at least ALL of these components:

a) a WCCP aware router
b) a host with support for WCCP GRE decapsulation
c) a host capable of interception of "foreign" TCP sessions to a local process.
(ip-filter can do this for Solaris)
d) a proxy that is WCCP aware. (i.e. Squid)
e) the proxy and router needs to agree on the WCCP version to use

As you say I am not aware of any WCCP GRE decapsulation module for Solaris, but
writing one should not be too hard for a person with some experience in writing
Solaris network drivers I think. The WCCP GRE format is a plain
GRE encapsulation with a slightly odd protocol number. Nothing special.

If writing a WCCP GRE module proves impossible for Solaris, it is still
possible to solve the issue by having a Linux box or similar infront of it,
taking care of the GRE part.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Squid Hacker