[squid-users] weird 'running copy' problem!!

From: SUZANA BT ZAHRI <suzana@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 14:36:11 +0800 (SGT)

hi all..
i have recently installed squid in a friend's redhat 7.1 machine...i
did /path/to/binary/squid -z and i got 'Creating Swap Directories', so
far so good...
problem is, when i typed /path/to/binary/squid to start squid, nothing
happened! When i did ps -ef | grep squid, it seemed there was no squid
process running. I have checked squid.conf and made sure my pid and log
files are in the right place....when i tried /path/to/binary/squid -k
reconfigure , i got:

squid:ERROR: no running copy

this is alarming!! I have reinstalled squid and everything but nothing
seems to work!! My pid file is empty, my cache.log and access.log files
are empty and i dont know what i've been doing wrong.I've searched the
archives and reread the FAQ.... I've installed squid
twice before but have seen nothing like this before..please help!!