Re: [squid-users] Reverse Proxy Questions

From: Brian <hiryuu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 15:47:40 -0400

On Wednesday 15 August 2001 12:42 pm, Andreas.Blatzheim@gecits-eu.com
wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've some questions about the httpd_accel mode.
>
> 1. I know that I can accelerate one WEB site with the above option. What
> I dont know is what changes if I use the "virtual" statement.
> The doc's says that this is used if I have to accelerate more then
> one WEB. But does that mean to the same IP? Ore can I use
> several real Severs?

If you give httpd_accel_host one IP, it will send all requests there. If
you give it 'virtual' it will look the host up in DNS and send the request
there. 'virtual' pretty much requres a local DNS (as proposed in ques. 3).

I'm not sure how httpd_accel_single_host interacts with accel_host, but
I'd recommend keeping them in sync.

> 2. Are entrys like parent ore always_direct, never_direct still valid? I
> mean can I use acl's and parent settings to specifie a requests route
> for the acceleration?

Yes, and quite useful.

As an alternative to local DNS, consider defining all of your back end
server as parent caches (assuming they're http/1.1 compliant, like apache,
and can take a full URL as a request).

From there, you can use cache_peer and cache_peer_access to create all
kinds of load balancing and failover magic.

Over here, we load balance across three front-end squids. Those forward
multimedia requests to one parent, images to another, and all five of
those lead back to two main back end servers.

> 3. Is it possible to use a faked DNS Server or specific domain to
> reroute the requests? The Idea is that I want to give my squid an local
> DNS Server that provides me another name for the same URL. Like
> www.myhost.de is seen at the internet as 195.96.36.100 and by the proxy
> as 10.10.13.100.

Yup. You can use dns_nameservers to tell squid to use different name
servers from the ones in /etc/resolv.conf.

        -- Brian