Re: [squid-users] http 1.1 thru proxies

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: 16 Aug 2001 16:28:22 +1000

On 16 Aug 2001 15:48:23 +0930, Glen wrote:
> > > its a POST
> > OK, now we are getting somewhere :].
>
> from my quick look at the tcpdump...i would think is the http error message
>
> HTTP/1.0.502.Bad.Gateway..Server:.Netscape-Proxy/3.52

This actually on two lines, but yes :].

What we've discovered can be sumamrised here:
The netscape server is apaprently returning the error - not an upstream
server.
The problem only occurs on POSTS through the netscape proxy...

I tried the same site here (galeon (with http/1.0 set), with squid 2.4,
chained to a squid 2.2hno, and from there direct.) I saw a normal page
with the following error text:
"

[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Full-text query failed
because full-text catalog 'CPSCU Search' is not yet ready for queries.

/search_results.asp, line 271
"
Where the search results should have been.

My guess would be that either.
1) that page is coming back with a 500 error from the origin, and
netscape is doing some sort of http/1.1->1.0 translation of posts, and
is thus overwriting the half-sensible error message.
2) IE is one of the broken implementations of POST mentioned in rfc
2616, and Netscape isn't tolerant of any variation to the request BNF.

Any further work really needs the cooperation of the netscape proxy
folk.

Rob