Re: [squid-users] Squid and MRTG

From: Mark Tinka <aknit44@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 02:50:51 -0700 (PDT)

i am running MRTG for several nodes and portions of my network.. i am simply having trouble getting it to work with squid.. but in a typical setting, the SNMP port is 161, as long as u have your node configured for this, if it does support SNMP, then all u need is to run MRTG on a separate managment machine, and create the cfg files with the relevant info on those units...

also, u need to setup crontab to run the MRTG binary every 5 minutes.. 5 minutes is actually the de facto for the gathering stats that can make any sense....

u have to use Apache so u can view the stats of course... and it is best run when on the same machine as that running MRTG.....

am still fighting with getting MRTG to work with squid.. although i know that MRTG doesn't have to be running on the same machine as squid is... if u have any ideas in the "later run" do fill us in...

good luck

AKNIT

--- "Ronald" <sukker_ronald@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am interrupting you for a simple Q. I am running mrtg successfully. What
>are your recommendations? Run mrtg using cronjob for every 1hr, 0.5 hr etc
>etc.. How can i see the files? Should i run apache in my Squid machine? So
>that i can browse easily.
>
>Thanks for any comments,
>Ronald
>
>> HI,
>>
>> Il 16.56 15/08/2001 Mark Tinka ha scritto:
>> >i tried that already, but it errors on this line:
>> >
>> >cacheServerInKb&cacheServerOutKb:public@proxy.sg.private:3401
>> >of course, with my settings.. commenting it out doesn't help either...
>>
>> What error ?
>>
>> >AKNIT
>>
>> Do You have checked if in cache.log there are SNMP error related messages
>?
>>
>> Guido
>>

>> -
>> Serassio Guido
>> Via Albenga, 11/4 10134 - Torino -
>ITALY
>> Tel. : +39.011.610749
>> E-mail: serassio@interfree.it
>> serassio@libero.it
>> WWW: http://www.serassio.it

Be different Get yourself a Globenetcafe.net email ID
Uganda's Newest internet cafe www.globenetcafe.net