Re: [squid-users] Policy based routing and WCCP

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 15:58:05 -0500

They are different, but similar. WCCP has a few extra benefits like
failover support and multi-cache load balancing that are more difficult
using policy routing (but not wholly impossible).

WCCP is more complex to support in both the router and the cache, so it
may be that your router and/or your OS/Squid will not support it. (The
only platform that I can confirm works is Linux with the ip_wccp module
plus Squid2.3 and above, or a patched Squid 2.2STABLE5. FreeBSD I think
works as well, using the GRE module.)

                                   --
                      Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                  Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances