Re: [squid-users] Squid using a lot of my bandwidth

From: Denys Sene dos Santos <sene@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 20:42:37 -0300

        and if I set my reply_body_max_size to 1Mb,
then my users can't download any over 1Mb ??? Remember
that I'm in a transparent box with ipchains redirecting
my http traffic to the squid port.
        I want that the box only passes it directly to
the user, without downloading first to itself, and leaves
to user, without write the object to disk.
        I think that in this way, my box is downloading
the big object to user, although don't caching it
to disk. Is this right???

Brian wrote:

> maximum_object_size only changes what squid will save.
> reply_body_max_size sets the limit on download sizes.
>
> Squid only checks for updates when that URL is requested. It does not
> automatically check back.
>
> -- Brian
>
> On Monday 20 August 2001 07:07 pm, you wrote:
> > oh sorry ... my mistake ... but in my conf is the right
> > directive "maximum_object_size" ... but if my max obj size is
> > only 1Mb, why is my squid box doing a big download ... I think
> > that is the update of the cached objects... but this is very bad
> > if at sometime squid uses all my internet downlink with this
> > update. Any other guess ?????
> >
> > Brian wrote:
> > > There is no largest_object_size. Perhaps you mean
> > > maximum_object_size?
> > >
> > > That only changes what squid will *save*. To limit what it will
> > > retrieve, use reply_body_max_size.
> > >
> > > If your users often download large objects, consider setting
> > > maximum_object_size to something larger, such as 16MB.
> > >
> > > Also use the cache manager to find out what is being requested that
> > > ties up all of the bandwidth.
> > >
> > > -- Brian

Denys Sene dos Santos - sene@onlinet.com.br / sene@ovip.net
Diretor Técnico - System and Network Administrator
Onlinet - Afiliado do Universo Online - O Melhor da Internet
http://www.onlinet.com.br/