[squid-users] Squid & Linux 2.4

From: Luis Garces <Luis.Garces@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 11:08:24 +0200

Hi everybody !

First of all, I'm sorry if somebody could consider this as a topic more
related to a Linux mailing list, but I'm working with Linux and Squid,
so I think this should fit here. Said that,

I was working with Linux 2.2.19 and Squid, using it as a _transparent_
caching proxy. I had all my squid.conf configured accordingly, and
ipchains redirecting all traffic going to port 80 to the port where
squid listens. When a client connected to a server, it was redirected to
the proxy, and I could see in the squid-end of the connection the IP
address of the server the client was connecting to. That way, squid knew
it had to connect itself to that IP address, and retrieve the data, if
so etc etc.

Know I'm with Linux 2.4, I'm using iptables.

The problem is when I'm redirecting traffic to the port where squid
listens, it finishes the connection to the IP address of the proxy, and
not that of the server. Now squid sees the IP address, that is its own
IP address, and tries to connect to itself ! I can even see it in the
logs (access.log).

So, I would like to know if somebody else is having the same problems,
or if there is a solution, or what is the point I'm missing.

Thanks in advance

--
Luis
****