Re: [squid-users] Compression

From: Brian <hiryuu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 20:57:17 -0400

On Thursday 23 August 2001 07:07 pm, Robert Collins wrote:
> I picked up some previous work done on squid which had client-side
> transfer-encoding(te - see rfc 2616), and generalised it to allow server
> side and client side te.
>
> The basic concept is that squid has an access list that controls what
> requests squid is willing to compress, and with what compression
> algorithm. For example you might make sure that squid only ever
> compress's html or text files. The result is an ordered access list for
> a given request - ie chunked, gzip, gz

Is there (or will there be) an acl for reply mime-type? I'd like to
compress php and cgi replies, but some return exotic things like gifs and
zips.

> Then as data flows into squid, all transfer encodings are unwrapped,
> giving squid the native body (which might itself be content-encoded).
> This native body gets saved to the store if it is cachable - and the

If the native (I assume you mean fully decoded) version is cached, where
does Vary play a role in this? Is that only for storing compressed
versions as mentioned in the future enhancements?

Overall, this looks really nice.
        -- Brian