Re: [squid-users] compile options

From: Robert Collins <robert.collins@dont-contact.us>
Date: 24 Aug 2001 12:41:41 +1000

On 22 Aug 2001 17:14:12 -0400, pat lendon wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm am upgrading from squid 2.3.STABLE4 to squid 2.4 STABLE1.
>
> We currently have 19 servers running squid. 18 servers use own cache
> and if not in cache go to our main server. If not in main squid's
> cache, requests are sent thru firewall direct to origin servers.
>
> I was thinking of using the compile options:
> --enable-cache-digests
> --enable-forw-via-db
> --enable-cachemgr-hostname
>
> With the 19 servers, would it be advantageous to use
> --enable-cache-digests and --enable-forw-via-db ?

The cache digest is a good mechanism if you want to set the 18 child
caches to get objects from each other. I'm not 100% sure on the
forw-via-db myself :} so you'll need to wait for another answer.

> It is not clear to me what --enable-cachmgr-hostname does (I've read faq
> and user's guide) and I do use cache mgr cgi.

If makes the hostname field in the cachemgr screen contain the result of
gethostbyname() by default.

> Thank you in advance.

Rob