Re: [squid-users] Transparent Proxy

From: Joe Cooper <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 03:03:04 -0500

No. You are incorrect. Squid would only receive requests directed to
the local IP if configured that way, while the OS would either route all
other packets directly or drop/refuse/ignore them (depending on how the
machine is configured with regard to routing).

Port redirection hijacks traffic destined for all the other IPs and
points them over to Squid (regardless of Squid's listening port).

You still need some form of port redirection.

                                   --
                      Joe Cooper <joe@swelltech.com>
                  Affordable Web Caching Proxy Appliances